Test Your System for Online Learning
In order for the student to successfully participate in an online course, you will need reliable Internet service and a properly configured computer. The student needs to ensure that his/her computer (hardware and software) has the capacity to access and run the online resources used by the UL Lafayette. Below are a few suggested software applications for use by UL Lafayette online students from the UL Lafayette Office of Distance Learning:
- At a minimum, Microsoft Word to complete written assignments.
- From the Microsoft website: Microsoft added new file formats to Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint 2007 to reduce file size, improve security and reliability, and enhance integration with external sources. To help ensure that you can exchange documents between Microsoft Office releases, Microsoft developed a Compatibility Pack for the Word, Office Excel, and Office PowerPoint file formats. This Microsoft Compatibility Pack works with files created by Office 2010 and the 2007 Office system.
- A free copy of Adobe Reader to open PDF files.
- What are PDF (portable document format) files? The portable document format (PDF) was developed by Adobe Systems as a form of file that allows for the creation of electronic documents using any type of word processor or print media software. As a bonus, the document can be shared with others, who are able to open and read the document, regardless of the word processing software they use. Here is some information about how PDF files are created, and why they are such an asset in a variety of applications. (www.wisegeek.com)
- A Web browser, such as Firefox 3.0 or greater (preferred browser)
- Current anti-virus software with up-to-date virus definitions (The University provides free anti-virus software for students
- Multimedia plug-ins, such as Flash Player or Windows Media Player may be required to allow your browser to access online video or interactive features. All plug-ins are available as a free download from the plug-in manufacturer's websites.
Elluminate vOffice Online Classes
- Elluminate participant orientation (5 min recorded version)
- Elluminate participant orientation (online version)
- Elluminate system requirements test (online system check)
- Elluminate configuration room (test vOffice)
ProctorU Online Examinations
- ProctorU Camera/Mic test (online system test)
- Browser/Component Check (online system check)