Panopto is a lecture capture software that enables instructors to create video and audio podcasts of lectures for student viewing at a later time.
- Full Moodle integration
- Unlimited video capture/creation
- Editing capabilities within the Panopto cloud
- Powerful analytics to see who is watching your videos
- Ability to quiz students within video and track responses
- Capture video from anywhere using mobile app
- and much more!
- All modern, updated browsers supported
Click the images below to view examples of videos created with Panopto.
If you are interested in using Panopto for your online or hybrid course but would like some assistance getting started, we are here to help!
Fill out our Instructional Design Consultation form, and a member of our Instructional Support Team will contact you about moving forward with your project.
Something not working? Please complete our EduTool Issue Report Form, and our team will begin researching the problem to get you up and running as quickly as possible.
You can also select from the links below to learn more about Panopto.
Step 1: Adding the Panopto Block to Moodle
- Log into Moodle with your ULID credentials
- Select the course in which you would like to install the Panopto block
- Turn Editing on for the course.
- Scroll down and locate the Add a Block block at bottom of right hand column
- Select Panopto from the dropdown box.
- Scroll down to find the new Panopto block that will appear above the Add a Block block
- Click on Provision Course link.
- Verify your name and username listed under the Creators section.
- Click the Back to Course link
You have now installed the Panopto block and initiated the Panopto service. Continue on to Step 2 to Download the Panopto Recorder.
Step 2: Download the Panopto Recorder
Step 2A: For University-managed Windows Devices
- Click the Windows or Start icon at the bottom left corner of the desktop.
- Locate and open the Microsoft System Center folder.
- Select Software Center.
- Select Panopto from the Applications tab.
- Click the blue Install button.
Step 2B: For University-managed Mac DevicesContact the University Help Desk at email@example.com to set up Panopto installation on your device.
Step 2C: For Personal Devices
- Log into the Moodle course where you added a Panopto block in Step 1.
- Scroll down to the Panopto block.
- Under Links, Click on Course Settings.
- The first page always seen is the Settings page. Just click the X in the upper right corner to close this page. Closing the window will show the Panopto Home Screen.
- Click the Download Recorder link. To record any sessions, the Panopto Recorder needs to be installed on any computer you use.
- Once the installation file has been downloaded to your computer (usually to your Downloads folder), Double-click the file to install the Panopto Recorder.
Step 3: Recording Videos
- From the Panopto home screen find the Create drop down menu.
- From the drop down menu, Select Record A New Session. The Panopto Recorder will open in a new pop up window.
- Click on the Start Recording button to begin recording your session/video.
- Click on the Stop Recording button to end your session.
Instructional Design Tips for Panopto
Be aware of your surroundings. Few things are more distracting than trying to watch a video lecture with a cat walking back and forth behind the speaker!
Prepare a script. Beware the "um", the "er", and the "you know". Creating a script ahead of time helps you put your best foot forward.
Relax. Being filmed comes naturally to very few of us. But don't panic! You can always edit mistakes out of your video, and your students will be none the wiser.
Looking for More Tips?
Looking for some more helpful tips on using Panopto? Fill out our Instructional Design Consultation form, and a member of our Instructional Support Team will contact you about moving forward with your project.
Download and Setup
- Download and Install the Panopto App from the Google Play Store.
- Tap on the Sign In... link at the top right to set up the app.
- Type in the following address: louisiana.hosted.panopto.com.
- Tap OK
- Tap the drop down menu that is labeled Panopto, select Moodle, then tap Done.
- TaptheLog In button.
- Log into Moodle using your ULID credentials.
- Begin using the app.
Download and Setup
- Download and Install the Panopto App from the App Store.
- Open the Panopto App, and tap the 3Bar graphic at the top left corner.
- Tap on Sign in
- Type in the following address: louisiana.hosted.panopto.com and Tap Done.
- Select Moodle from the drop down menu and tap Done.
- Tap Sign In button.
- Enter your ULID credentials and tap the Log In button.
Recording (iOS only)
- Click on the 3Bar graphic at the top left of the Panopto App screen.
- Tap Record & Upload
- Tap the destination folder where you want the session to be saved.
- Type in a Title.
- Tap on the Start recording button to begin recording. (If prompted to allow Panopto access to your mobile device's mic and camera, tap OK.)
- Tap the Record button(red/white circle) to start and stop recording.
- Once you have finished recording, Tap either Retake or Use Video.
- Once you have selected Use Video, Tap Upload at the top right of the screen.
Panopto Website Resources
- Basic Editing (2:14)
- Advanced Editing - Splicing (1:59)
- Advanced Editing - Features (10:55)
- Panopto 4.7 Features (22:53)
Resyncing Panopto BlockIf students are added to your Moodle course after you initially provision the Panopto block, they may not have access to your Panopto videos. In order to ensure that all students will have access, you will need to Reprovision/Re-sync your Panopto block by following these steps.
- Turn on editing in your Moodle course.
- Locate the Panopto block, and click the Reprovision Course link at the bottom.
- After reprovisioning, Click the Back to Course link at the bottom of the page.
Creating Secondary FoldersThere are a number of reasons why you might want to create secondary Panopto folders for your course. One of the most popular reasons is to keep certain videos hidden from your students. Follow the steps below to make your own secondary folders.
- Log into your Moodle course, and click on the Course Settings link in the Panopto block.
- Close the Settings pop-up screen.
- Click the red Create button at the top of the screen.
- Select the New Folder option.
- Type in a Name and Description for the folder.
- If you wish the contents of this folder to be hidden from your students, Deselect the checkbox for the option to Inherit permissions from the parent folder.
- Click the Create Folder button.
- Make any additional changes to the folder settings that you would like, and then Close the Settings window.
You have now created a new, empty folder that is ready to store your videos.
Copying and Moving Videos
- Log into the Moodle course containing the videos you would like to move, and click on the Course Settings link in the Panopto block.
- Close the Settings pop-up window.
- Click the checkbox next to the video(s) that you would like to copy/move.
- Click the Copy button at the top of the screen. (Alt: If you want to move the original video, click the Move button.)
- Click the drop-down box at the top of the screen and select the folder into which you would like to move the selected video.
- Click the green Copy/Move button at the top.
- Once you receive confirmation that the video has been successfully moved, close the Copy/Move Session window.