ULearn Online Teacher
The "ULearn Certified Online Teacher" distinction recognizes faculty who have completed training on current online teaching methodologies, pedagogies, and tools in order to prepare them to deliver quality online and hybrid courses. Faculty can earn the ULearn Certified Online Teacher distinction through either the Workshop Series or Portfolio.
Prior to enrolling in training, faculty must obtain department head approval. This endorsement confirms that the faculty member will be teaching online or hybrid courses for the university, and must be on file with the Office of Distance Learning before the faculty member can be registered.
- Step 1: Complete the QM Applying the Quality Matters Rubric workshop (and all subsequent refreshers).
- Step 2: Complete three online workshops from our catalog of Professional Development Courses: ODL 100 Basic Course Building + one facilitated workshop (200 level) + one additional workshop (100 or 200 level).
Faculty must turn in copies of certificates of completion for all workshops in order to earn ULearn Certified Online Teacher recognition.
Ideal for faculty who have completed training to teach online at another institution or through another organization, the "Portfolio" option includes two steps.
- Step 1: Complete the "Applying the Quality Matters Rubric (APPQMR)" workshop (and all subsequent refreshers). For a list of upcoming trainings, please visit our Training Calendar.
Step 2: Submit an electronic portfolio that includes:
- A narrative about how you achieve learning outcomes in your course, and how you've mastered particular outcomes related to online teaching.
- Documentation that you completed the trainings (provide certificates of completion, letter from institution or instructor, work products generated through the training, etc.).
Once you have identified the certification option that is right for you, please contact the Office of Distance Learning to register and get started.