Courses are selected for the electronic peer-review process based on the following priorities (effective April 24, 2013):
- Course is part of the major / program curriculum of a fully-online (or fully-hybrid) degree program.
- Course supports a fully-online (or fully-hybrid) degree program (such as a general education course, or an elective).
- Department / College request for review.
- Instructor request for review.
Course review teams include the instructor (SME), department head (or designee), at least one department reviewer (up to five) identified by the department head, two university reviewers identified by ODL staff, and a review staff (currently ODL staff). Faculty serving as a department or university reviewer must be up-to-date on Quality Matters training. The following "essential qualifications" will be considered when selecting reviewers (effective April 24, 2013):
- Completed Quality Matters online training.
- Experience teaching online / hybrid courses.
- ULearn Certified Online Teacher distinction.
- ULearn Certified Course Designer distinction and Completed Course Design Practicum. (tied)
Members of review teams have access to the Electronic Course Peer Review site in Moodle, which includes information about using Quality Matters, the peer-review process at UL Lafayette, review team roles, using Process Maker, and reviewer compensation.
Review Rotations & Timeline to Certification
There are several review cycles throughout the calendar year. Once courses have been identified for a given review cycle, the following process begins; the time allotted for each step are estimates only and subject to change:
- Instructor (SME) completes the Instructor Worksheet (one week)
- Reviewers begin simultaneous reviews (four weeks)
- ODL reviews recommendations and meets with Instructor (SME) (two weeks)
- Instructor (SME) makes changes (varied)
- Department head or designee reviews changes (as needed; up to two weeks)
- Instructor (SME) makes additional changes (as needed)
- ODL reviews changes and approves course for certification