This is a comprehensive list of items and activities you may attend to in getting your course ready. These are suggestions, and some may not apply to you.
For a PDF copy of this checklist that you can print, please click the following link: Course Readiness Checklist
Before Your Course Begins
- ☐ If you have content from a prior semester, import the content into your current course.
- ☐ Test all course hyperlinks and update broken links.
- ☐ Set due dates for learning activities and assignments.
- ☐ Update course calendar.
- ☐ Confirm Moodle Gradebook Settings are accurate for course grade calculation.
- ☐ Add an Announcements forum, if missing.
- ☐ Add a Q&A forum
- ☐ Confirm all text, images, videos, and audio files are accessible.
- ☐ Add a Welcome Message (written text or video).
☐ Update “Getting Started” section to include the following items:
☐ Updated Course Syllabus (Moodle page template is available) with current:
- ☐ Instructor information
- ☐ Course Information
- ☐ Policies
- ☐ Student Support Resources
- ☐ Updated Course Activity Schedule (Moodle page template is available)
- ☐ Updated reference list of Course Articles.
- ☐ Citation guide for resources (such as Purdue Citation Guide)
- ☐ Self-introduction forum.
- ☐ Updated Course Syllabus (Moodle page template is available) with current:
- ☐ Add or update title banner for each module.
- ☐ Ensure learning objectives are stated clearly in each module.
- ☐ Provide clear instructions to complete each learning activity.
- ☐ Provide assessment rubric for graded items.
- ☐ Set test dates and passwords for any online proctored exams.
- ☐ Ensure external resources (Word, PDF, URLs) open in a new window or new tab.
- ☐ Hide or delete empty topics on the course main page.
- ☐ Make the course visible at least one week prior to start date.
During the First Week
- ☐ Ensure students complete the “Getting Started” section.
- ☐ Encourage students to share background info, personal interests, and their learning goals in the self-introduction forum.
- ☐ Communicate regularly through announcement and Q&A forums and email to build instructor presence.
- ☐ Invite and encourage students to use virtual office hours to make appointments.
- ☐ View participant page and contact students who have not logged in during the first week.
Throughout the Course
- ☐ Monitor assignment submissions.
- ☐ Contact students about missed deadlines or failure to log in regularly.
- ☐ Communicate with students frequently to maintain instructor presence.
- ☐ Post announcements to remind students of upcoming deadlines.
- ☐ Check and update Group settings before group projects begin.
- ☐ Provide opportunities for students to use online tools before a required assignment.
- ☐ Respond to student inquiries within 24-48 hours.
- ☐ Communicate when students should expect to receive grades and returned assignments.
- ☐ Provide individual messages of encouragement and feedback.
- ☐ If you will be inaccessible during the semester, provide guidance on what to do during that time.
During the Final Week
- ☐ Post final course grades in accordance with University policy.
- ☐ Send an email with a closing personal message to students.
- ☐ Encourage completion of end-of-course survey.